THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day: Daughters in the White House

Has anyone else noticed a trend in the White House?
In my lifetime, the only children living in the presidential mansion have been girls. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm relying on memory and light research.)
Richard Nixon was president the year I was born, 1969. At least one of his daughters was a teenager living at the White House.
Two of President Ford's four children (2 boys, 2 girls) were teens when he was inaugurated. Anyone know if son Steven resided at the White House?
I remember Amy Carter well because she was only a few years older than me. It's fun to have a presidential kid and wonder what their lives must be like. Here's a good article on the topic -- kid friendly: http://www.whitehousehistory.org/04/subs/04_a02_d.html
There were no children in the White House during the Reagan & first Bush years -- 12 years from 1981-1993. Then Chelsea Clinton, the Bush twins and now Sasha and Malia Obama.
Does something about being the parent of a girl make a person more appealing as a potential leader, or more willing to lead? What do you think?

No comments: