THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Friday, January 2, 2009

It's Poetry Friday!

We spent New Year's Eve at St. Petersburg's First Night family celebration. NinjaGirl and I danced by the DJ stage, DJRobMan kicked some kid's butt at the Guitar Hero tent (making friends in the process -- they went off to try the moon-bounce boxing ring). The kids took their grandparents through a labrynth marked by kid-decorated paper bag lanterns. It was great! One of our favorite things was the heart-pumping Mt. Zion Progressive Drumline. The drummers reminded me of Nikki Giovanni's metaphor poem, "The Drum": The drum daddy says the world is a drum tight and hard and i told him Read what she told "daddy" (it's good starting the year right advice) here. Join in the first Poetry Friday of 2009 at A Year of Reading.

7 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Love that poem. It's such a strong voice! It sounds like you had a great night.

Anonymous said...

Love the poem. I'm gonna remember those words this New Year!

Author Amok said...

I love the poem, too. Talk about marching to your own beat!

Kelly Polark said...

It sounds like you had a fun new year's eve. (We have fun with Rock Band and Guitar Hero at our house).
Great poem! I always tell my kids it is more fun to be different!

Denée Barr Art News and More said...

Great Fun...Thanks for sharing!

Author Amok said...

Thanks for the New Year's visit, everyone.

The kids go back to school tomorrow. That means back to work and writing for me! Are we all celebrating?

laurasalas said...

Excellent Nikki Grimes poem.

And yes, we're celebrating! Husband and kids are getting ready for work/school right now. I am so excited about my soon-to-be-empty house!