THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Monday, February 22, 2010

Weather Tanka

Here are two more tanka poems from Northfield Elementary third graders. Both happen to be about the weather. Not surprising -- that's all we've been talking about here in central Maryland.

You'll notice that Sean and Lowen paid attention to the form's rules. The upper poem in a tanka includes detailed observations. The lower poem expresses emotion.

See the previous post for my full tanka lesson.

Rain by Sean C.

Trapped inside my house,
I stared out the wet window.
Rain, the plainest taste.
It seemed to be prolonging...
I feel lonely as can be.

"Rain, the plainest taste" -- what a vivid and evocative image. The  next poem is also full of sensory images. I love how Lowen used onomatopoeia without explaining the meaning -- that allows me to picture what's happening in my imagination.


Snow
by Lowen D.

White covers the ground.
When my mom says, "School's out,"
it's cold and it hurts.
I love snow. Shh shh burr burr.
It's so fun to play in.

Thanks, once again, to my students at Northfield and their families. I enjoy sharing these wonderful poems with you -- but I couldn't do it without their permission and enthusiasm for poetry.

No comments: