THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Amok in Tea

I have two school Poets Teas this week.

The teas are culminating events for my student-poets. It will be a few  weeks, even months, since we worked together. I'll return to hear how they've polished their poems, which the children will read to parents and guests.

Then, we feast! At least, cookies and lemonade in the middle of the school day feels like a feast.

First, I'll go to Fort Garrison and visit with the third grade. Then, it's off to St. Jane Frances School, where I worked with seventh and eighth graders.

Here is a poem by St. Jane Frances seventh grader Sydney E. This comes from one of my favorite workshops, portrait poems. The lesson is here.

Sydney wrote this poem in response to a photo of cafe singer I clipped out of the newspaper (not the clip art above). I love how she captures the singer's passion for music and imbues the poem with character. Personifying Jazz is an important leap in this poem.

Jazz

by Sydney E.
My hair is long
like my history.
My eyes are dark
like my past.
My voice is strong
like my faith.
My ears have heard many sounds,
from the birds’ twitter in the morning
to that midnight train.

I’m going off on my own,
to perform the way I want.
I empower people to dream big,
but act bigger.
To me,
Jazz is not just a type of music.
It’s a way of life.
Jazz is soft and smooth,
warm and deep,
soulful and strong.

If I have one amazing song,
I would give it up for a few minutes with my friend.
My friends and family are always in my music.
like angels,
always with me.
They’re there,
you just might not notice them.

A friend will be there to help me when I fall,
but a best friend will never let me touch the ground.
Jazz is one of my best friends.
He brought me back,
when I wanted to jump the ledge.
Jazz is my love.
I will never let him go.


The poem reminds me of some of my favorite female jazz artists.


Sade is coming to Baltimore this June and I've got my tickets. I fell in love with her music when she first hit MTV and I was in high school. This is the gorgeous photo they're using to advertise the concert. See you there!

No comments: