THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Poetry Postcard 11

Descansando en una Palapa en la Playa Gaviotas.
Relaxing in a grass-hut at ‘La Gaviotas’ Beach.
Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México.
Nonchalant (Senryu)


Turquoise suit, tanned thigh
lashes curled as a wave's crest
I do not see them

by Laura Shovan

This was one of the first antique postcards I bought for the project. I found it in an antique shop in historic Ellicott City, which is just up the road.

Could not resist this card. It has a built in story. The girl in the hammock with her blank expression. The boy and girl in the background, holding hands on the beach. I knew I wanted to write about them.

But when it came time to write, I felt stuck. The story was already on the card. Adding anything seemed too -- what? heavy? distracting?

That's why I went with a senryu for this postcard. (Read about senryu form here.) While I'm not in love with this poem, it's kind of fun. The card so perfectly (in my imagination) captures teen angst, it doesn't really need a poem.

I also committed a haiku/senryu foul. Similes are frowned upon. In haiku, subtle metaphor is the aim.

Speaking of teen angst, my daughter turns thirteen today. (A birthday poem/card for her is coming up!) Which means I am officially the mother of two teenagers. So far -- knock wood -- the teens have been more fun than angst-inducing.

Additional postcard information: 

Tarjeta Postal
“Vista Color”
Lito en Meixco
©Litografica Turmex, S. A., Apdo. 53-060, Mexico, D. F.

¡Coleccione Tarjetas Postales!”


It's another gray, rainy day in Maryland.
Here's some eye candy!
La Gaviotas Beach at www.tripadvisor.com

Non-Spanish speakers, La Gaviotas translates as "the seagull." Probably a reference to the bird and not the play by Anton Chekhov.

7 comments:

http://doyoutalktoyourcat.blogspot.com said...

Your Senryu is delightful!

Robyn Hood Black said...

What a fun addition to this growing collection, Laura! I love the idea of using a "small" poem with this image so as not to overpower it.

(By the way, I mentioned this wonderful project on my art blog today about creative surprises in the mail: http://artsyletters.com/?p=367 )

Robyn Hood Black said...

Oh - and I meant to add a hearty Happy Birthday to your daughter!
:0)

Irene Latham said...

Laura, I think you did a lovely job adding something to the picture! Also, can it be we have another thing in common?? My youngest son just turned 13 on the 13th... now I have THREE teenagers in the house. :)

Author Amok said...

Thanks for the comments, all. Between the birthday and Mr. S coming down with a rare cold -- busy day!

Robyn, thank you for cross posting. I appreciate it. A friend sent me a postcard pendant that you would love. It's along the lines of an artsyletters project.

Irene, happy birthday to your guy. Julia is our youngest (of two). Our son turns 16 next month and will be driving. Yikes.

Julia had a great day, low key, but we are taking her to the Harry Potter park this spring for a belated birthday celebration.

Linda B said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! Thirteen is indeed a special one. I love the poem, especially those curled lashes. I remember first getting an eyelash curler & sitting with girlfriends, sharing our make up "tips". And I've been there, to Sinaloa, two times with family, seen that island in the middle. It was a great beach.

Linda B said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! Thirteen is indeed a special one. I love the poem, especially those curled lashes. I remember first getting an eyelash curler & sitting with girlfriends, sharing our make up "tips". And I've been there, to Sinaloa, two times with family, seen that island in the middle. It was a great beach.