THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Progressive Poem 2014 Is Here!

I'm taking a break from the Source Poem series today to participate in another National Poetry Month tradition: Irene Latham's annual progressive poem.

The Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem lands at a different blog each day in April. As the poem travels around the blogosphere, each poet adds a line. With thirty minds cooking up a rhyming recipe, you know there are going to be some surprising flavors in this poem.

I decided to give the poem a little "Bam!" a la chef Emeril Lagasse.

Sitting on a rock, airing out my feelings to the universe
Acting like a peacock, only making matters that much worse;
"Acting like a peacock,"
from National Geographic
Should I trumpet like an elephant emoting to the moon,
Or just ignore the warnings written in the rune?
Those stars can’t seal my future; it’s not inscribed in stone.
The possibilities are endless! Who could have known?
Gathering courage, spiral like an eagle after prey
Then gird my wings for whirlwind gales in realms far, far away.
"Spiral like an eagle,"
from All About Birds
But, hold it! Let’s get practical! What’s needed before I go?
Time to be tactical— I’ll ask my friends what I should stow.
And in one breath, a honeyed word whispered low— dreams —
Whose voice? I turned to see. I was shocked. Irene’s
“Each voyage starts with tattered maps; your dreams dance on this page.
Determine these dreams—then breathe them! Engage your inner sage.”
The merry hen said, “Take my sapphire eggs to charm your host.”
I tuck them close – still warm – then take my first step toward the coast
This journey will not make me rich, and yet I long to be
like luminescent jellyfish, awash in mystery.
"I long to be like luminescent jellyfish,"
from Wikipedia
I turn and whisper, “Won’t you come?” to all the beasts and birds,
and listen while they scamper, their answers winging words:
“Take these steps alone to start; each journey is an art
You are  your own best company. Now it's time to depart!"
The Fairies in Spring
Arthur Rackham (public domain)
Next up is Amy Ludwig VanDerwater at the Poem Farm. Perhaps the speaker of our poem will at last take flight with Amy at the controls.
You can find past and future entries in the 2014 Progressive Poem here:
1 Charles at Poetry Time
2 Joy at Joy Acey
3 Donna at Mainely Write
4 Anastasia at Poet! Poet!
5 Carrie at Story Patch
6 Sheila at Sheila Renfro
7 Pat at Writer on a Horse
8 Matt at Radio, Rhythm & Rhyme
9 Diane at Random Noodling
10 Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference
11 Linda at Write Time
12 Mary Lee at A Year of Reading
13 Janet at Live Your Poem
14 Deborah at Show–Not Tell
15 Tamera at The Writer’s Whimsy
16 Robyn at Life on the Deckle Edge
17 Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
18 Irene at Live Your Poem
19 Julie at The Drift Record
20 Buffy at Buffy Silverman
21 Renee at No Water River
22 Laura at Author Amok
23 Amy at The Poem Farm
24 Linda at TeacherDance
25 Michelle at Today’s Little Ditty
26 Lisa at Lisa Schroeder Books
27 Kate at Live Your Poem
28 Caroline at Caroline Starr Rose
29 Ruth at There is No Such Thing as a Godforsaken Town
30 Tara at A Teaching Life
Tomorrow, Author Amok returns to a month-long series on Source Poems. Baltimore-based poet Shirley Brewer is sharing a favorite poem by Eavan Boland.

13 comments:

Tabatha said...

That's one intense peacock you've got there, Laura! Nice line -- "depart" is the perfect rhyme :-)

Amy LV said...

Yes! Thank you! I was dying to see what this line-before-mine would be. Hmmmm...what fun it will be to think about this all day long...

skanny17 said...

I love the "bam". Curiouser and curiouser. Wondering what Amy will add.
Janet F.

Irene Latham said...

Bam, indeed! Get on with it, already, is what this line says to me. :) Thank you, Laura. xo

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Finally, we're departing! It's taken us almost the entire month to get going, so I'm looking forward to see where Amy takes us!

Linda B said...

As Matt said, time to go! Beautful line, Laura, and I love all the pictures you added. Now my imagination is racing, but have to wait for Amy to take the next steps!

Margaret Simon said...

Love the addition of the images. Time to depart, let's go, who is leading the way? I'm sure Amy will have something new to say.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Love your use of images to complement the text. That Rackham illustration suits perfectly to send us on our way. Thank you for being the decisive voice this poem needed!

Donna Smith said...

We are rounding the bend to the finish line! Where will we end up?

Buffy Silverman said...

The illustrated version! Love it, and your 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blast off line!

Author Amok said...

Let's just call it a poetic kick in the pants.

Robyn Hood Black said...

Enjoyed the pix! Especially the Rackham illustration. And tomorrow we journey by one of my favorite farms....

Carrie F said...

Just getting caught up on this poem. I love the command you've added. Yes, it is time!