THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Author Amok's 2015 Sound Poem Project

Hey, Writerly Friends. February is almost here. You know what that means. It's time for our annual daily writing workout!


For the last two years -- in order to practice writing and give something back to others during my birthday month -- Author Amok has hosted a big poetry project.

In 2013, I wrote every day in response to vintage postcards. (Find the list of postcard poems here.)

In 2014, over a dozen poets joined me for the project. We all wrote in response to Pantone paint colors. (Find the list of Pantone poems here.)

Before I get to this year's project theme, guess who else has a birthday coming up...

It's Tabatha of the blog The Opposite of Indifference, who happens to be the winner of last week's featured book giveaway. Tabatha will receive an ARC of HUSH, DON'T TELL NOBODY, by Kyle Doty. Happy birthday, Tabatha!

Every Friday throughout February, I will post a week's worth of sound clips. Where possible, I will give the link with no description. What you hear is what you get.

You are invited to write in response to the sound (see suggested writing prompts below).

Important note: The point of this exercise is to practice the habit of writing regularly, even if it's just for one month. I post the responses as they are sent in so that we can focus on generating ideas, rather than on polishing for publication

Prose writers, you are welcome to join us! Use the sounds to create a 100-250 word writing sprint. Are you working on a novel? How would your protagonist react to hearing the day's sound?

Leave your contribution(s) in the comments -- let me know which sound you are writing in response to. Or send it to me via email at (all one word) "mrs poems at gmail dot" etc. Prefer to post your audio response at your own blog? Great! Send me the link and I'll be sure to include it.

I'll post our poems and other written responses every day in February, or at least several times a week. Whoever shares the most poems this month will get a prize! (Last year, Diane Mayr won a snazzy Pantone paint notebook.) 


This year's prize is a spoken word CD from Gargoyle literary magazine.

Here are the week 1 sounds. Purists -- if the link includes a video, minimize the page and you can listen to the sound without visual distraction:





Thanks to Renee LaTulippe for the suggestion.

Matt Forrest Esenwine, I love this recommendation.

Saturday, February 7: Listener's Choice -- pick your endangered sound.

How do you respond in writing to a sound?

Here are some prompts to try:

·                 What does the sound make you see? A memory, object, image, or something else.
·                 Sensory response: Does this sound trigger your sense of smell, taste, or touch?
·                 Build a setting: Where could you be when listening to this sound? 
·                 Become the sound: Imagine that you are the animal, object, or person making this sound. Write a persona poem in the voice of the sound-maker.

Thanks in advance for playing along. Remember to share what you come up with in the comments or via email. 

Since it is Poetry Friday, here is one of my favorite poems about sound.





Paul at These 4 Corners is hosting today's
Poetry Friday links. Thanks, Paul.
Happy birthday to all my fellow Febs!

If you're curious about some of the websites I used to find sounds, read this post.

23 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

"Leave your contribution(s) in the comments -- with the color you are writing in response to."

I wish it were color--I'm more comfortable in that realm.

I'll give it a go, but I'm not at all confident I'm up to the task.

Happy birthday month, my friend!

Author Amok said...

Thanks for the correction, Diane. Will fix! I hope you give the sounds a try. Good stretch.

Author Amok said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tabatha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tabatha said...

Yay! Thanks to you and Kyle for the prize! Love to start celebrating my birthday early...

Sally Murphy said...

This a great challenge. I have a busy month coming up, and am also hoping to take part in the post-it note poetry challenge, but will try to do some sounds as well. What fun!

Linda B said...

I love this Laura, and know I'll give it a try at least sometime. Hope your birthday month is wonderful, and I think you've had at least one gift already, your book contract! I love the video. "the rain plays a little sleep song on our roof"-ah-h!

Author Amok said...

Sally and Linda, as often as you like is fine. This is just for fun.

Charles Waters said...

Can't wait to participate this year!

Karin Fisher-Golton said...

Oh how perfect! My poets group is writing a poem a day in February. I've made a list of prompts for times when we want that sort of inspiration. I will add visiting your site as a possibility, and plan to stop by. I look forward to writing a poem or poems inspired by sound.

Author Amok said...

Thanks, Charles. We'll be glad to add you to the party!

Karin, perfect timing. I look forward to hearing from you and your group.

Julie said...

I'll give this a go - what fun! The water wheel prompt already has my head turning (and turning and turning)things over for February 1st. Thanks, Laura.

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Glad you liked the theremin link - I thought you would! I'm going to try to find the time to write a few lines for these...in-between my other projects!

Bridget Magee said...

Oh what a challenge, Laura! I'm equally excited and daunted, but I promise I will give it a try. Happy (early) Birthday! =)

Tara said...

What a lovely gift - a monthlong poetry celebration. I have no gift for writing poetry, just enjoying the art - so I'll have to tune in to see what's been contributed.

Buffy Silverman said...

Love the water wheel sound--going to try to write some of these.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Looking forward to dropping in here and there, Laura, and love your gift to us and to yourself!

Bookmarking the page...

Joyce Ray said...

Listening to Langston Hughs' poem with Disney characters gives me a whole new perspective! Your challenge sounds (oops! pun!) intriguing. I hope I can join in at least some of the time. Thank you!

GatheringBooks said...

My 13 year old girl is now attending an arts school and is being taught the studio habits of mind and how to be attentive to the things around her - especially sounds. Your post reminded me of her learning. :)

Author Amok said...

Myra -- that's a beautiful connection. Thank you for sharing!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

If my lateness to this post is any indication of how it's going to go for me this month, I'll be lucky to contribute anything! I'll try, though. :)

Carol Varsalona said...

Laura, I am sorry that I am responding so late to your fabulously, intriguing invitation. I did read your post last week but life caught up with me and circumvented what I wanted to do. I have been reading the sound poems and find the whole notion of listening intently to sounds to provide me with new sparks is something that my one little word (Listen) is calling me to do. Let me see where this all leads me. Thank you for the challenge.

Gillena Cox said...

Hopped accross on Diane Mayr's invitation, i do am a February birthday girl [Feb 11th]

Happpy Birthday to us

much love...

P.S.
this poem has some water[not a water wheel] in it and a littt-tleee sound
http://myblog-verses.blogspot.com/2015/02/21.html