THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Welcome to Poetry Month National Tour

Happy National Poetry Month, gang!

Before we hop in the van and hit the road, here's some political yet poetic history. Did you know that two of our recent presidents have dabbled in poetry?

Let's start our tour of the 50 poetic states with Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. But before you read on, am I April Fooling?




Make the Pie Higher
by George W. Bush

I think we all agree, the past is over.
This is still a dangerous world.
It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
and potential mental losses.

Rarely is the question asked
Is our children learning?
Will the highways of the Internet become more few?
How many hands have I shaked?

They misunderestimate me.
I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
I know that the human being and the fish can coexist.

Read the rest here.

POP
by Barack Obama

Sitting in his seat, a seat broad and broken
In, sprinkled with ashes
Pop switches channels, takes another
Shot of Seagrams, neat, and asks
What to do with me, a green young man
Who fails to consider the
Flim and flam of the world, since
Things have been easy for me;

Read the rest here.

Okay, folks. We're off to Delaware, the first United State (though, between 12/7/1787 and 12/12 when Pennsylvania got on board, Delaware wasn't united to anything. I guess it was the Uni-State of America.)

Until we get there, no kicking the seats -- I'm trying to drive up here.

No comments: