THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

2012 National Poetry Month Project

Every year I -- and many other Poetry Friday bloggers -- celebrate National Poetry Month with an April blog project.
You can order a free poster at www.poets.org

In 2010, I went around the country (virtually) and visited most of the state poets laureate.

In 2011, I featured the work of 30 poets from Maryland, where I live.

This year, I am doing something different. You've heard of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. At Author Amok, we will explore 30+ Habits of Highly Effective Poets.

I am inviting poets (this means YOU) to join in. Here are the details:

In 500 words or less, describe a writing habit -- your own or that of a writer you admire (or avoid). Tried and true methods, such as William Stafford's habit of  rising at 4 AM every day to write, are welcome. Flagrantly odd, unique, weird and wacky habits are highly encouraged -- whether they are yours or you are tattling on a(nother) famous writer. Check out this post, where I learned that William Wordsworth enjoyed reciting drafts of poems to his dog. And here is a post about famous fiction writers and their habits. Disappointingly unweird.

If you would like to include a poem with your write-up, please do so. Previously published is fine, just let me know where. It must be high school friendly. Poems appropriate for younger children are also welcome. An accompanying poem is  not required.

I'm excited to say that children's authors Laura Purdie Salas (also a PF blogger) and Justine Rowden have signed on already.

Leave a comment if you're interested in participating. Counting the days to NPM!

10 comments:

Diane Mayr said...

I'd love to participate if you still need someone! --Diane

Author Amok said...

I'd love to include you, Diane. Thanks! Send your piece to mrspoems@gmail.com, please. Any time before April 1.

Irene Latham said...

Laura, I'd love to participate! Also, I am putting together the roundup of National Poetry Month events for Kidlitosphere site. If you would like for this to be included, please send me a brief description and url to irene at irenelatham dot com

JV Myka said...

I'd like to share my poem writing rituals. How do I get involved? ~JV

Author Amok said...

Hi, JV. I'll try to send you an email, or you can send me one at mrspoems at gmail dot com.

Amy LV said...

Laura, You always think of very cool projects for poetry month. I'd love to join this party if you still want more people! My e-mail is amy at amylv dot com. a.

Leslie Rzeznik said...

I wrote The Voice OF the Poem for "30 Days" - hope you can use it!

-Leslie Rzeznik

Author Amok said...

Hi, Leslie. Thanks! Would you send me a short bio to post with your write-up?

Laura

22buttons said...

I know it's late gah, I only have 15 minutes! But if you still need people, I'd love to participate.
-Kallie

Author Amok said...

Hi, Kallie. I am still working on the schedule. Send me an email at mrspoems at gmail dot com.