THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Poetry Postcard 30: A Love Story


Happy Valentine's Day, postcard fans! Heart Day at the Shovan house is a low-key affair. It falls between several more important January/February holidays, namely: every single birthday in the household, including the dog's (2/17).

I hope Cupid aims well and is kind to you today. Love comes in many forms, including this one:

Cartoon Boy Meets Cartoon Girl

You have no lips to kiss or speak.
I have no ears to listen.
Let me lean on this picket fence,
watch you hover
over a loop of jump rope,
your braids drawn up
by bat-winged ribbons.
You cannot see my baseball cap
or read my cautious expression.
Your lashes fell a moment before
the cartoonist imagined us.
But I will wait. The next panel,
with your fluttering lids, must come.
The artist -- would he leave us
forever like this?

Laura Shovan


Postcard Information:

PUB FOR ASHEVILLE POST CARD CO., ASHEVILLE, N. C.
A “COLOURPICTURE” PUBLICATION

7 comments:

Renee LaTulippeh said...

What a fun poem - I especially LOVE "your lashes fell..." and the hopeful (doubtful) question at the end. Very clever! :)

pauline537 said...

I love the batwing bows bit

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Enjoyed this, Laura! Perfect for Valentine's Day. The lines "You have no lips to kiss or speak / I have no ears to listen" are more profound than one might at first think.

Author Amok said...

Exactly so, Matt. Thanks for pointing that out.

Linda at teacherdance said...

This is a favorite, Laura. What you see in these two--frozen drawing, wanting so much to be released for the next step--priceless. I like the rhythm too! Happy Valentine's Day!

Author Amok said...

Hi, Linda. I read the daily comics religiously. Part of the poem came from observing the strange features of the cartoons (not unusual -- Hello Kitty has no mouth, Little Orphan Annie has no pupils). But the turn in the poem happened for me when I thought, what if this were one part in a three-panel comic strip?

Tabatha said...

I heart this poem! Going to save it in my e-journal :-)