THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Thursday, May 7, 2015

In Residence: Poetry Friday Words

Words for Poetry Friday
by Laura Shovan

I share words on Poetry Friday.
Inviting words--

ONOMATOPOEIA
LYRICAL
REVISE

Everyone can see them.
You'll find them waiting for you
like the FELINE that shares your home.
She sits by the window
waiting for party guests, then--

MEOW
RUB
FURRY
FOLLOW
LAP
PURR

A GARDEN is there, in the back.
LEMONADE, to cool you off.

The words play together
when we gather for poetry.

RHYTHM
HEARTBEAT
JUICY
ALLITERATION
is at the party.

My friends the words
never want to leave.
They like to stay up
all night, talking.

Magical Michelle is hosting
Poetry Friday this week at
Today's Little Ditty

Hey, Poetry Peeps.

My third grade students are finishing up their list poems. I thought I'd write with them today. 

I'm pleased with how this lesson turned out. Since this was the first workshop of our residency, the model poem provides a frame that young writers can plug into, but still adapt to their own topics.

Check out their poems, modeled after Naomi Shihab Nye's "Words in My Pillow."

Words in My Lunchbox
by Jason Y.

I pack words in my lunchbox,
words that taste good.

Fruit by Foot
Ice cream
Popsicle

No one can see them,
but they wait for me in my
lunchbox,
like the fruits waiting
inside my lunchbox.

Peaches
Grapes
Berries

My sandwich is in there.
The words are playing
together.

Chomp
Slurp
Lick

My words are all blending
together,
but the most important
word is MUNCH.

I loved Jason's use of onomatopoeia. Sound words add an extra layer to a poem because the reader can hear the sound in addition to the word.



Words in My Garden
by Jeffrey G.

I plant words inside my garden,
words that look good –

FLOWER
LEAF
PETAL

No one can see them,
but I find them waiting for me,
Like the SEED under the surface.
No one can see them
but I know what’s under there –

WATER
ROOTS
WORMS
COMPOST
VEINS
ROCKS

Good NUTRIENTS are under there.
The words are growing together
when I am watering or planting them.

VINE
POLLEN
STEM
LAVENDER
are in my garden.

My friends the words
go to rest before I do,
but they never
go away.

Jeffrey did a great job using the idea that words are hidden inside us (from the model poem) and connecting that to the hidden workings of a garden. 


Words in My House
by Isa L.

There are words
in my house. Words that make
me happy.

NOISY
CLEAN
NEAT

No one can see them, but they’re
there.

HAPPY
EATING
DRINKING
My words get along well.

PETS
BIRD
DOG
FAMILY is in my house.

I leave my house sometimes,

but I never leave my words.

Isa's poem creates a portrait of her family, because the words she chooses characterize what life is like in her house.

In Residence will be an ongoing series this month. If you missed previous posts:

First Student Responses: "Words in My Pet Goldfish," "Words in My Bed," "Words in My Life"

Thank you to the Northfield ES community for inviting me back again this year. I appreciate having the permission to share the third graders' amazing work this month.

Readers, my third grade poets love hearing feedback from you. Please leave a comment about our list poems.

10 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

Each poem, a word party. What a bunch of chatterboxes! Especially yours. :) Love Isa's ending!

Sally Murphy said...

Laura a love your own poem, but couldn't pick a favourite among the 3rd-graders - they were all so wonderful. What a great exercise to get them writing poetry.

Margaret Simon said...

I have stolen this idea. My students will be revising today, so I'll post later. I am pinging back to you. What a great exercise! The poems you have shared are rich with words. Love your tribute to the words of Poetry Friday.

Robyn Hood Black said...

You all are having so much FUN!
Thanks for sharing these great poems.

JASON - Great job, and would you believe I still buy Fruit by the Foot for my son when he comes home from college to visit?

JEFFREY - your words did grow together to make a magical poem! Terrific images of what goes on under the surface of a poem and a garden.

ISA - "I leave my house sometimes,
/but I never leave my words." What a perfect description! And you've given us an inviting picture of a happy, lively home.

jan godown annino said...

Isa, Jeffrey & Jason are observant writers.
Appreciations to them for sharing with Poetry Friday today. I am especially enjoying their subjects for the list poems. (I'm feeling an idea inspired by their works, to see if I can create a list poem about my traveling bags, which I still need to unpack from a school visit)
And Ms. Shovan, poetry workshop leader, I think your explanation poem

CONCRETE
HELPFUL
INSPIRING

Tabatha said...

Jason's poem was so tasty! I like his great verbs (chomp, slurp, lick)! Isa's poem made me feel happy, and I especially felt a kinship with Jeffrey's because I love gardens so much!

Mary Lee said...

Fabulous work, third graders! You are lucky to have a poet in your midst! Poet, you are lucky to have such talented students!

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

Poetic Third Graders

I enjoyed poems from

JASON
ISA
JEFFREY

I don't know them but they are

CREATIVE
TALENTED
WRITERS

Keep writing :-)


Carol Varsalona said...

Laura, words are so nifty and your exercise for the children makes me think of a clothesline with words hung out to dry and then be refitted for a snuggly use in a poem. I love this idea and your work. Kudos to the young poets for their contributions.

Catherine Johnson said...

They are brilliant! I'll have to try this.