THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Poetry Friday: Announcing a LAST FIFTH GRADE Book Vine

H A P P Y  H A L L O W E E N

Carving by Dan Szczepanski 


Hey, all you trick or treaters, head to Jone MacCulloch's house for some poetry goodies. She's left the lights on at Check It Out, so you know it's safe to ring the doorbell.

I've been away from the Poetry Friday party for a few weeks, but I'm making it up to you with something extra special. THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY is going on an ARC tour!

Cover Snark called THE LAST FIFTH GRADE
"rather macabre." Now Mr. Poe wants to read it
to find out if she was serious. (She wasn't.)

I'm so grateful for everyone in the Poetry Friday community who has followed the progress of my middle grade novel-in-verse and cheered me on over the years. The book doesn't come out until April 12, but here is your chance for a sneak peek.

I'm sending THE LAST FIFTH GRADE on a book vine, especially for Poetry Friday bloggers. You'll find the sign-up form by clicking on THIS LINK. Simply fill out the form to participate. Once twelve people have signed up, I will contact everyone by email with the details.

And here is a Halloween poem that was cut from the book -- a special little Halloween treat just between us ghouls.


Halloween
By Brianna Holmes

My favorite day is Halloween.
I get to be a wicked queen,
a princess who’s got lots of cash,
a zombie dancing Monster Mash.
I’ll be a vampire, dressed in black,
blood on my sleeves, lace down my back
and make the little kids afraid,
marching in the school parade.
I’ll trick or treat in neighborhoods
where it’s safe and the candy’s good.
I thought Hannah would go with me
if I made her a witch’s dress for free.
But she said Halloween is dumb
walking ‘til your feet are numb,
lugging all the treats you’re taking,
eating ‘til your stomach’s aching.
What’s up with her? How can it be?

I thought Hannah was just like me.

P.S. Are you checking out the cover to see which character is Brianna? She's in the bottom row in her snazzy beret.

P.P.S. Check out yesterday's post for a very cool pairing of a book (Jeff Garvin's SYMPTOMS OF BEING HUMAN) and a poem by one of the HUMANS OF NEW YORK. Your teens will thank you.

10 comments:

Linda B said...

I checked out Brianna, and now am looking forward to reading more! Your poem shows that dilemma of the older kids who want to grow up so badly, yet still love the Halloween fun. Fun that you've created the vine for reading your new book!

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

You can let Brianna know Miranda will go trick-or-treating her. I think they'd be besties for sure. Even the picture reminds me of one of Miranda's real life best friends. Happy Halloween, Laura!

author amok said...

Thanks, Linda. You're right. Some kids aren't ready to give up the fun of Halloween (not to mention adults).

Michelle -- hooray! Can't wait for you to read more of Brianna's story.

Buffy Silverman said...

Brianna reminds me of my kids, who were not willing to stop trick-or-treating and costuming when it was no longer cool. (And the adult daughter is still costuming!)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, and especially for giving voice to a party-pooper character:) What a fast-paced poem, reminds me of racing house to house with my friends as fast as we could afraid to miss one morsel....God bless you!

Mary Lee said...

I was so excited to sign up for the vine that I almost forgot to come back and comment! I can't wait to read the book!

Tara said...

Signed up!! This is such a kid-knowing poem - my sixth graders would totally love it.

Bridget Magee said...

Ooh, Brianna's voice is intriguing! I can't wait to read your book, Laura!

author amok said...

Thanks, everyone. Brianna's character really came together for me when I discovered (how? accidentally? a whisper in the mind?) that she is a seamstress. She loves to doctor, mend, and update clothes.

Tabatha said...

Isn't it so disappointing when a friend loses their taste for your kind of fun? Especially if it is your favorite day! I hope Brianna finds someone else who enjoys it. I don't think I've seen you in person with your new 'do --- looks good!