THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Monday, April 27, 2009

Yahoo for onomatopoeia!

Onomatopoeia -- what a delicious word.
I love hearing a classroom full of elementary schoolers say it. They relish the sound, "Onomatopoeia!"
Today, I started my annual poetry residency at Northfield Elementary School near my home in Howard County, MD. The residency is courtesy of Northfield's PTA and a grant from the Maryland State Arts Council.
You can read a previous post with detail on my onomatopoeia lesson. If you try it with your students, let me know how it goes.
The third grade teachers are almost as enthusiastic about poetry as I am. We have a great time together. Here is the group onomatopoeia poem, written by Ms. Hilliard's class today:
Cafeteria
I hear screaming.
Ms. Poe says, "Five inch voices."
My friend is crunching on Doritos.
Someone clattering their coins for snack.
People are whispering,
talking, laughing.
"First call for clean up."
"Final call!"
I hear footsteps tapping.
Time for recess!
Don't you just love "clattering their coins?"
More onomatopoeia poems to come...

2 comments:

Color Online said...

Way cool! Love this. Thanks for sharing it.

Author Amok said...

Ta! We have a great time at this school. Enthusiastic teachers = enthusiastic kids. I'll be posting more of their poems.