THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Amok in Unusual Topics for Poetry

Writing onomatopoeia poems with elementary schoolers is a blast!
The first poem we wrote at Northfield Elementary was a sound riddle using onomatopoeia words. The class had to guess where the poet was, or what activity s/he was doing. (Find the lesson description here.)
They've got some out-of-the-box thinkers -- take a look at these poems by third graders.
Poet: Joshua G.
I would never have thought of this place for a poem, but it's perfect for onomatopoeia. Can you guess where Joshua is? I hear air nozzles buzzing. I feel the padded chair. I see pairs of pliers. I smell molding goop. I feel slimy spit on my chest, hands twisting wires in my mouth. I see a person in a lab coat. I hear, “Brush your teeth
after every meal.” I hear kids crying. I smell toothpaste. I hear, “You can leave.”
Poet: Alexandra P. Alexandra's class loved hearing her read this poem.
I hear a splash of water as I play with glee,
as I hear bubbles popping,
as a rubber duck sails by,
as I unplug the drain,
as I hear water
slushing around.
I get out
as I chatter my teeth
as I get a towel to get warm.
Sometimes, it's our own poet's voice that makes a poem original. Tomorrow -- two Northfield poets write very different poems on the same topic.

2 comments:

Andrew Burke said...

Delightful work! I teach much much older students who have far less zing in their swing!

Author Amok said...

Thanks -- I'll pass your kudos to the kids. We have a great time with these sound riddles.