THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY

THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY
April 12, 2016

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Anything You Want

Yesterday, I gave the Northfield third graders magic pockets. They could put anything in the pocket -- the only limit was their own imaginations. (Find the lesson, model poem and poetry prompt here.)

I love using this writing exercise, because it often reveals what a child is passionate about.

For Sarah S, it's art.

I have a jacket,
a jacket made of pockets. In pocket
199, I have a magic art
studio. It is stacked and
packed with art! Art
supplies, famous artists and
Ms. Kramer! I can take
them out and they
can teach me art!
I would LOVE that
because I LOVE
Art. I would make
a plaster sculpture
that would last a
MILLION years!

Adam L's passion is sports. I love this magic football helmet, that grows with him.

I have a jacket,
a jacket made of pockets.
In pocket 86 I have
a magical football helmet.
It fits on my head
no matter how big my head gets.
It is a Ravens helmet with stripes.
It includes a face mask.

My football helmet makes me throw
super far.
I set world records.
I am better than any pro.
The Ravens invite me
onto their team.

If you're trying this lesson, and your students are stuck, try this frame:

First three lines:
"I have a  jacket,
a jacket made of pockets.
In pocket ___, I have a..."

Followed by:
a description of what is in the pocket, use all five senses if you can.

Then:
what does the object do?

Finally:
Why do you want this thing? You can begin this section with, "I take it out when I..."

Tomorrow is Poetry Friday. I have a BIG announcement to share! See you then.

No comments: